Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Feed Your Brain, Lose Your Belly – Conclusion

(Information obtained from Feed Your Brain, Lose Your Belly by Larry McCleary, MD, renowned neurosurgeon)

Previous posts:
Feed Your Brain, Lose Your Belly – Part 1
Feed Your Brain, Lose Your Belly – Part 2
Feed Your Brain, Lose Your Belly – Part 3
Feed Your Brain, Lose Your Belly – Part 4


Now that I have given you information from nearly half the book, I would like to encourage you to get this book for the whole story. It is loaded with much more information!
If you don't want to buy it, your library should have it. (If they don't, they still might be able to get it for you, just ask them.)

I would like to point out that there are many low-carb diets that many of us have heard of. I've tried the Suzanne Somers diet. She teaches the same concept as this book – that without insulin (from carbs), your body cannot store fat.
I really liked it and I did lose weight using her method, but it wasn't something I could stick with. I might have been eating lots of great things, but there is so much that you just can't have on this diet. The reason I failed was deprivation.
Diets like Atkins are not healthy because there are too many foods you can't have that your body needs.

For now, I am using coconut oil with everything I can and cooking with olive oil and butter.
I'm taking fish and flax seed oil supplements.
I'm eating as many of my carbs in their whole grain form as possible (I can't believe how good the 100% whole wheat pancakes were) and cutting down as much as I can on simple carbs.
Last but not least, I eat low-carb meals whenever I can. This may be 2-3 times a week and definitely when I'm eating buffet or breakfast at a restaurant. This is also helpful after eating too much the meal before.

Here's a little tip I used when on Weight Watchers that really helped when I read this book over Thanksgiving:
Buy a bottle of baby Tylenol liquid (brand doesn't matter). Empty the contents and wash it out. Fill it up with olive oil and carry it with you. Then when you're in a situation where your menu is out of your control and you know you're likely to overeat, use the little dropper to add olive oil to your food. It really helps curb your appetite (remember it's an MUFA). This was an excellent way of getting in the recommended 2 teaspoons.
Consider measuring to find out how many droppers it takes to make a teaspoon. I believe mine is 3 droppers full per teaspoon.

I'll leave you with a great recipe...
Good Old Fashioned Pancakes
This is THE best pancake recipe. Replace all the flour with whole wheat flour instead and add a tsp of vital wheat gluten (easily found in the flour section). Vital gluten improves the texture of recipes using whole wheat flour. Read more here: Vital Wheat Gluten
I like my pancake batter a little more runny so I add more milk.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

So what is a good carb intake for the day, or for each meal? Your body does need some carbs, right?

aMY g said...

Excellent question Sarah... Yes we need carbs and he is not even suggesting a carb free diet. What he is suggesting is to eat complex carbs so your insulin levels don't spike and in smaller amounts than we're used to eating, in addition to eating a LOT of healthy fats.
He recommends about a 2:1 fat to carb calorie ratio. For example: approx 50% of calories from fat, 25% percent from protein, and 25% from carbs.