Friday, March 2, 2012

The NON-Diet Way To Lose Weight

The book I am currently reading is called I Can Make You Thin by Paul McKenna.

I really want you to read this book but I will tell you some of the basics. I think this is on of the best methods I have ever heard of for weight loss. There are NO food restrictions. He literally says to eat exactly what you want and not what you think you should.

He helps you retrain your body to listen to cues of fullness. I've used this idea only a few times but I can already see his point. I have not been hungry although I am eating even less than I already was.

I will not be using his hypnosis CD. Although I am dying to try it and it sounds like it would really help, I want to only use methods and ideas that I can pass on to my readers. If I use the hypnosis CD and others aren't comfortable with that idea, then my weight loss will be based on something I cannot pass on to you. If anyone tries it, PLEASE let me know how it goes and what you think!

He goes over three reasons people have trouble losing weight:
1) Obsessive dieting
2) Emotional eating (that's me)
3) Faulty programming - your thinking about food is all wrong


The idea is to eat whatever you want, whenever you want but follow a few rules.


Rule #1:

When you are hungry - EAT

Hunger scale:
1) Physically faint
2) Ravenous
3) Fairly hungry
4) Slightly hungry
5) Neutral
6) Pleasantly satisfied
7) Full
8) Stuffed
9) Bloated
10) Nauseous

Don't let yourself get to a 1 or 2. Eat when you feel around a 3 or 4. Practice scoring yourself every hour or so.


Rule #2:

Eat what you want - not what you think you should.

Instead of cleaning the junk out of your cabinets as most diets recommend, go through your refrigerator and get rid of everything that doesn't inspire you. If it's not something you want to eat, get rid of it.
No foods are off limits. As soon as you make one off limits, that's what you're going to be thinking about. He says "As long as you are actually hungry, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy."

In my opinion, I would caution you to be careful. A houseful of 'inspiring' junk foods will derail your plan quickly. Use the visualization technique (below) on your trigger foods.

Rule #3:

Eat consciously and enjoy every mouthful.

There is a weight loss spa that focuses on helping you slow down when you eat. There is a coach who sits with you at meals to make sure you slow down and savor your bites.

Put your fork down and empty your mouth between bites.

Get rid of distractions. Don't eat mindlessly - i.e. while watching tv.


Rule #4:

When you think you are full, stop eating!

The human body is designed to eat when hungry and stop when satisfied. However, we have been programmed to eat until full, or until our plate is clean.

When you slow down, you will be able to recognize that signal from your brain telling you that you are satisfied. When that happens, stop eating no matter how much food you have left.

So, what if you're hungry again in 10 minutes? Then eat! You will learn to listen to your body.

BTW - see the hunger scale? Never let yourself get to #8, 9 or 10.


Last night we stopped at Sonic while grocery shopping. Typically a burger and a few tots is what I would eat. I was halfway through my burger, taking a deep breath between bites, when I felt full. I literally didn't eat any more and didn't feel hungry until this morning.

This morning I ate oatmeal. That's really what I wanted. I loaded it up with healthy fat (coconut oil, fresh cream) cinnamon and honey. I was half through the amount I typically eat and felt full. I wasn't hungry again until about 11:30 when I saw pickles on the counter that need to be put away. So I ate a few.


Cancel your membership to the Clean Plate Club

You being overweight is NOT going to help the starving kids in China, India or Africa.
Make it a habit of leaving at least one bite on your plate to start reprogramming your brain to stop thinking you have to clean your plate.

Use the Magic Weight-Loss Elixir

Sometimes your hunger is actually thirst. Drink water when you feel hungry. If you're still hungry – eat!

Visualize

Stop thinking about things you DON'T want (i.e. get rid of love handles or muffin top, lose weight, not be so fat) and start visualizing what you DO want (i.e. to be slim, fit, lose 50 pounds, fit in a size 8 dress, etc).

Also, try using your imagination when it comes to eating things like... cake. Try this:
Imagine a piece of chocolate cake. Tell yourself you can't have it. Then imagine how it tastes as it melts in your mouth. How well are you holding up against the cake using willpower?
Now imagine the cake with wriggling maggots all over it. Doing better resisting it? : )


Quotes from this book: Stop Dieting!

No comments: