Thursday, April 19, 2012

Getting Past A Weight Loss Slump

So I've lost 50 pounds and now I'm floundering. I've been alternating losses and gains over the past few weeks. The last 2 weeks I gained and this time it was 2 pounds.

Part of that is sitting down to a meal and caring more about eating the delicious food than losing weight. Part of it is craving sugar and Easter candy being on sale.

A big part of it is that I haven't gone grocery shopping (beyond picking up a few things here and there) for about 2-3 weeks. Actually, I think that's most of my problem.
My fruit basket is empty. My veggies need to be tossed. My lean protein sources (chicken and fish) are dwindling. And it doesn't help that with limited ingredients, I'm cooking less often and we ended up eating out several times.

I'm finally starting to exercise. I'm very excited because I'm actually exercising because I want to and the guilt factor is now missing (thanks to this post).

I plan to go shopping asap. I'm craving a good salad (I like mine with things like beans, chicken and southwest style dressings) so I'll pick up salad fixings. Fruits like apples, grapes and oranges help keep me on track so I want to buy some of those (eating a bit while cooking helps curb my appetite). I've really been wanting a green smoothie...

The most important thing I've realized even more through this is that weight loss truly starts in the mind. You have to want to lose weight more than you want to eat too much of the delicious foods. It's mind over matter. I can't use Paul McKenna's system if I choose to overeat and not pay attention to my body's signal that I'm full. Changing your mentality toward food is the most important part of weight loss. Food is not just for pleasure, but is what our body is made of and energized by. Weight loss depends on what type of foods you eat so tweaking your choices a bit helps a lot. Kind of like what this picture depicts:


Reminding myself:
Cut back on the carbs, lean toward complex carbs, eat as many veggies as you want (except starchy ones like peas, corn, potatoes - just limit them), lean protein causes weight loss, fiber makes your food stick with you longer, drinking lots of water can cause weight loss on it's own, exercise boosts metabolism a LOT (besides burning calories), lack of carbs = no fat stored (1-2 low-carb meals a week helps), I don't need cake and peanut m&m's (I CAN choose just one of them), fat is satiating and brain food...

Also...
Falling Off the Wagon

No comments: