Tuesday, May 29, 2012

My Fitness Pal

A friend of mine mentioned using My Fitness Pal the other day because she could track her water and fiber intake - both of which are very important for your health and weight loss. I originally chose not to use My Fitness Pal because I have a very low opinion of counting calories. However, so long as we are using it for other purposes as well and not as a rule, I think this is a tool that we can benefit from even if we are not counting calories.

BTW - it reminds me a LOT of Weight Watchers tracking except theirs track points, track foods differently and do not show nutrient content.

If you are going to use it, I would like to encourage you to not put too much stock into the calories and fat intake amounts it gives you. Especially if you are using low carb meals occasionally to lose weight, you will be constantly going over on calories and fat.

Unfortunately, most diets want you to restrict your fat. That is a bad idea for lots of reasons. Fat is important - especially for brain health. As long as you are aiming for healthy fats, please don't pay too much attention to their fat numbers. You actually want to eat more fat than they are going to recommend.

Check out their handy mobile app!


Read this series about fat and weight loss:
Feed Your Brain, Lose Your Belly

No comments: