Thursday, June 28, 2012

Define Deprivation...

Where I am:

I have known for a while that I am not doing well with losing weight. When I looked back at my weigh-in's, I was shocked to see that I have only lost 3 pounds since January! That's when I decided to get off of Weight Watchers and use their science to lose weight. I have been doing a little roller coaster since then with my small gains and losses.
I know what works for weight loss and what doesn't, so I have been trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I mean, I know some of what I'm doing wrong is eating things like cupcakes but cupcakes HAVE to be a part of my diet or I will fail from deprivation, right?

We took a week off and went to Canada on vacation this month. While there, I was around a lot of people who eat well. Fresh veggies were served with each meal and fruit was sitting around, ready to be eaten at all times. Cut up watermelon was on hand quite a bit and it was available to be eaten at random.
One of our meals was a healthy soup made with German sausage, veggies and even a bit of barley in it. The barley surprisingly only added a hardly noticeable amount of pleasant texture. The soup was delicious!
While there, we were talking about different ways of eating, and it suddenly occured to me that my problem might be my current definition of deprivation. We had talked about our similar views on vegan eating - we feel meat is part of a healthy diet. Although I personally think eating vegan is a not healthy, I have a lot of respect for anyone who can remain vegan or vegetarian for years on end because I know that it is not easy - it takes a lot of dedication and self control. What about deprivation for them? Do they feel deprived?

Like being vegetarian, weight loss is a way of eating. When you are vegetarian, you don't eat meat and animal products. When you are losing weight, you also limit certain foods. For some reason, I don't think vegans see it as feeling deprived. I bet they feel proud when they resist the foods that they believe against and are empowered by their choices. When I saw it that way, it feels weak to me to eat whatever I want because I don't want to be deprived. That is actually what Weight Watchers teaches you - not to deprive yourself, just eat less of it. However, since I'm not on Weight Watchers any more, I don't have the point system to limit me and keep me on track. Their point system makes a ton of sense and the 49 weekly points that are meant for keeping you from feeling deprived, really keeps you from feeling deprived. Since I'm not on that system anymore, I don't have those 49 points limiting me, keeping me in check. So how do I keep track of whether I have had too much 'deprivation avoidance' type of foods? I don't. I think that is my problem - my perception of deprivation.
Before, if I wanted a cupcake, I looked at how many points it was, how many points I had left and decided how much of it I could eat without messing up my points.
Since I don't want to spend the money on Weight Watchers and know that because you rely on the point system for your weight loss (meaning you have to stay on WW the rest of your life to keep it off) I refuse to go back to that and have re-determined to figure out how this weight loss thing works and lose the other 30 pounds without Weight Watchers. They tell you and reiterate in most of the meetings, that the meetings are a key factor to weight loss. If you stop coming, you will stop losing and most people gain some of it back again. It sounded like going to the meetings was a good idea at the time, but now it just looks like marketing to me.

So to acheive this, I HAVE to get rid of the Weight Watchers mindset and start thinking differently. I think that line about deprivation is what keeps people on their program. People are trying to avoid deprivation, which keeps them coming back because it is too hard to keep track of how deprived or undeprived you are based on how much junk food you have allowed yourself.

I have looked into several new books. I am only reading the books about losing weight as a lifestyle and no calorie counting crap or special foods. Counting calories is a load of huey because it does not take into account how your body processes different kinds of foods (more about that later). I can't read fast enough to read them all. There are a ton of books and blogs out there, similar to mine that are telling me the same thing I'm writing about. What I am blogging about is real stuff - this really works! I have just felt like a fraud because it wasn't working for me. But the more I read, the more I realize that this is it - this is the way to lose weight and keep it off. All these books are telling me the same things - the same things I'm telling you.

So, after a break and a long period of thinking about things, I'm back and full of more ideas. I can't wait to share them with you!

No comments: