Monday, October 29, 2012

After The Retreat

I stepped on the scales this morning and was quite pleased to see the same number from before the retreat. Let me tell you how I did it (humor me :). It was actually really easy.

Disclaimer: I do NOT recommend doing this. I used a few science based diet 'tricks' to keep my weight down at a time I knew I wasn't likely to eat right. The tricks I used are in bold font.

Thursday:

I ate a light breakfast, and had egg scramble for lunch (no carbs). Before leaving for the retreat I made a protein shake with milk, chocolate whey protein, spinach and coconut oil to fill me up before facing the bazillion desserts at the retreat.

For supper, I did not limit myself at all. I ate my bacon cornbread with coconut oil on it. I ate delicious cheesy foods (and some not so yummy foods too). I ate 2 (or more) of the Knock You Naked Brownies I took; they were SO delicious! I tried a few other desserts too and drank sweet tea.

Friday:

We baked frozen biscuits and I made sausage gravy with lots of butter.  I ate the egg scramble from the breakfast burritos, smothered with gravy. Someone made a cream cheese danish and I ate 3 servings of them, making myself sick. I ended up taking a heavy dose of vitamin C (1500 mg), drinking 32 oz of water and taking papaya enzymes to get rid of the headache and nausea before being able to go on with my day.

We ate at Olive Garden that evening. I put coconut oil on my breadstick and ate a couple of bowls of salad. I still finished off my Lasagna Rollatini and had another breadstick with my meal. I couldn't resist the pretty pink raspberry lemonade and since the water tasted nasty, it gave me a good excuse to go ahead an order one. So yummy!

I felt awful again after eating all that food at Olive Garden so I picked up some fresh, cut up pineapple to help my digestion and took more enzymes. I felt better by the time I got back to the house we stayed in so I tried a small bite of a peanut butter cup dessert that looked so good. It WAS good so I alternated the dessert and coffee with pineapple because the dessert hurt my stomach. Finally I couldn't take anymore so I quit eating it. lol  I did finish off the pineapple though which made me feel a lot better.

Saturday:

We had Blueberry Breakfast Bars for breakfast as well as leftover biscuits and gravy and the cream cheese danish. I ate a couple of the blueberry bars, half a biscuit and gravy and the danish before eating some fruit. That helped fill me up and made me feel better too.

After leaving the retreat, I knew I had a lot of make up work to do so I started with lunch. I got a piece of grilled chicken from McDonald's. I wasn't super hungry so that filled me up.

For supper I went on a date with my hubby since we were still without our kids and ate a delicious BLT salad (a Caesar salad with bacon and flakes of Parmesan cheese), a juicy ribeye steak, grilled veggies with butter, and a small piece of bread with butter (limited carbs).

Later for dessert, we went to Applebee's where I ordered a Maple Butter Pecan Blondie topped with ice cream, pecans and a rich maple butter sauce. I could do that since it had been over 3 hours since my low carb meal at the steakhouse.

Sunday:

Breakfast the next morning was 2 eggs over easy, 2 sausage patties and coffee with milk and sweetener (limited carbs).

Lunch was a piece of grilled chicken (no carbs) from a fast food joint. 2 hours later I ate 2/3 of the small chicken sandwich that my daughter didn't eat.

Supper was snacking; I had chips and salsa/sour cream, half a donut and cookie dough ice cream.

How hard was that?

Does that sound like a difficult way to lose weight? Does my menu sound deprived? I am excited to realize that after eating so much junk food and desserts that I made myself sick, I can still manage my weight! Just by using a few tricks I was able to eat as much as I wanted.

My tips for times of great eats:

Fill up on protein
Eat as much fruits and veggies as possible to fill you up
Throw in as many low carb meals as you can to balance out the junk meals
Use healthy oil on everything you can to feel more full

I would like to add this very important note:

I am craving sugar right now so you might notice that my menu has lots of desserts in it and not just from the retreat. I have been doing a little research on sugar cravings and apparently my adrenals being depleted by stress is a major factor. However, there are other factors as well that I will be covering in a post soon. Eating this much sugar is not healthy and I would highly recommend that you not eat this way. However, the tips I shared above will help you manage the amount of sugar you eat when faced with situations like these.

1 comment:

Nettie Beard said...

You're doing great... Keep up the good work. I wish my brain could soak up all the science of weight loss. You make it sound so easy.